Pet Therapy and Alzheimer's
Real dogs and cats can be a wonderful therapeutic experience for a person in early stages of Alzheimer's disease. As human beings, we all LOVE our pets!
Unfortunately, as Alzheimer's disease progresses, our loved ones aren't able to care for live pets anymore and many long term care facilities don't allow live pets. Real pets, at this point, can cause too much activity and disruption, possibly causing the person to become agitated and frustrated.
A Memorable Pet is a great solution to many of these issues!
A MEMORABLE PET CAN:
- Calm someone who is upset
- Provide endless hours of hugs and smiles
- Create a distraction from a harmful or upsetting event
- Serve as an attention-getter
- Provide a tool for social interaction with family and friends
- Regenerate warm, nurturing feelings of caring for another... creating a sense of purpose
- Make it possible for someone who is totally dependent upon others to care for “someone” else